Our House

Blackford County Historical Society

321 North High Street, P.O. Box 264
Hartford City, Indiana

 

Our Building - The Beginning. "Sealed bids will be received up to 12pm on the 3rd day of May, 1898, for the furnishing of all material and labor for a two-story brick dwelling for Jesse H. Dowell. Plans and specifications can be seen at the office of P. J. Loney, architect." so states the local newspaper.

  1. List of the property transfers beginning in 1887
    1. William Crow to Jesse H. Dowell & F. P. Dowell January 17, 1887 (Lots 1 & 2)
    2. Frank P. Dowell and wife to Arthur G. Dowell October 7, 1905 (Lot 1, Block 4, Original Plat)
    3. Arthur G. Dowell and wife to Ruth Werber May 3, 1915
    4. Ruth Werber to Arthur G. Dowell and wife May 3,1915
    5. Ida F. Crooks (was formerly Ida F. Dowell) to John Burns December 4, 1919
    6. John Burns to Minta Fon Cannon August 4, 1942
    7. Minta Fon Cannon to M. L. Goodnight August 10, 1946
    8. M. L. Goodnight to L. B. Pursley and wife November 26, 1947
    9. L. B. Pursley to R. L. Baugher February 16, 1951
    10. Raymond L. Baugher to Wm. R. Ward November 8, 1962
    11. Wm. R. Ward and wife to Gerald Valentine and wife August 1, 1972
    12. Gerald L. Valentine et ux to Blackford County Historical Society November 8, 1976

The building was purchased in 1976 by the Blackford County Historical Society. It is now the home of the BCHS, The Museum and The Cecil Beeson Genealogy Library.



Board Members:
J. C. Beckley
Ron Dodds
Marvin Miller
Kim Pontius
Dick Tarr
Jane Winder

Current officers:
President - Sinuard Castelo
V-President - Ron Storms
Secretary - Judy Sodders
Treasurer - Kelly Ford

 












Back to Top

Blackford County Historical Society
321 North High Street
PO Box 264
Hartford City, IN 47348
Sinuard Castelo (765)348-3103, email sinuardcastelo3@gmail.com.





Last Update February 5, 2016
Find errors email WebMaster
This site courtesy M.L.Marshall. Created in Notepad++ using CSS and XHTML